Whether you decide to contact a home renovations company or do it yourself, when you start a renovation project it’s important to know exactly how to choose the building materials and products you need.
Renovations: why the big fuss?
Know the saying, “Measure five times, cut once?” It goes the same with renovations. If you don’t want the paint to crack two days after you renovated, or the walls to grow mold, then our best advice is to invest in quality materials.
Remember: Renovations come and go. You can spend a few days or weeks in a dusty home, but you need to make sure the results are going to last for years. Don’t be cheap when you buy materials.
And after all, if you do decide to start your renovation project, don’t be afraid to ask for help.
Tip: Pay attention to the building materials you buy. Home renovations imply time and money, so you want to spend them wisely.
Shopping for a remodel: simple tips
Here are a few things to pay attention to when buying home renovation materials:
- Buying off the shelf. One thing that is very important when you buy off the shelf: don’t purchase the product if the package is open. If you insist on having the product, ask for a discount. With electrical products, always make sure to ask the seller for a test, so you can check if the products are working as expected.
- Get suppliers recommendations. If you are working with professional home contractors, ask their opinion. They sure have established relations among suppliers and will give you the best advice. If you DIY, ask around for recommendations from friends and family.
- Do some research. A little research about the brand that you buy your products from is essential. Know what each product does and what it is used for. Make sure you know who to call back if you want a refund.
- Don’t make experiments. If you are not in the home building and remodeling business, avoid trying things for the first time. Use products that have good reviews, or products recommended by specialists.
- Buy from local suppliers . Besides the fact that you will help the local economy, you may also save a lot of money. Usually local suppliers charge less on delivery, so that’s at least one saving point.
- It’s ok if you buy extra. Don’t return the extra paint and don’t even think of throwing it away. You never know when you have to fix a spot on the wall of maybe some crayon marks, if you have kids.
Investing in a home remodel can ask for a big financial effort, besides requiring a lot of time and resources.
The general assumption is that DIY renovations are cheaper, but that is not the case. In many instances people who renovate their homes by themselves conclude that it would have been not only cheaper, but also less stressful if they hired a professional home renovations company.
Book a free consultation
Gialluisi Custom Homes is here to help you make the best of your renovation project. We work with the top local product suppliers and our team offers complete home renovation services: from exterior renovations to living rooms, bathrooms, kitchens and more.
All initial consultations are free at Gialluisi Custom Homes. Let’s meet and discuss your renovations project:
Call 908-206-4659 (FREE) to get in touch with one of the Gialluisi Custom Homes team members or contact us here .