Once you decide you want to buy a house there is one (extremely) important question you have to answer: do you want your future home to be production built or custom built?
How do you decide which one is best for you and your family?
Buying a home is one of the greatest investments you will ever make. Therefore, you have to be 100% sure that you make the best decision.
Our mission today is to make sure you understand exactly what are the main differences between custom built homes and production built homes.
Production homes vs. custom homes
They are usually built in suburban areas on large lots that can support such constructions. Typically, they are built by the same constructor who owns all the lots.
To get a better understanding on how production homes are built, think of the neighbourhoods where all the houses look the same. Literally the same: the color, the height, the number of windows, the number of steps, the backyard area – absolutely no difference between them.
- Home and land are included in the price
- You can pick from a variety of home plans
- Avoid the stress of going through a home building process from scratch
- Save time as you can move in relatively quickly
- Little options when it comes to finishings and interior design touches (such as cabinets and flooring)
- You can not make any changes to the initial plans
- Quality of materials can be compromised
- The resale value can be small, because there is enormous competition when it comes to selling a production home
Custom built homes
When it comes to custom built homes, things are slightly different. Here we are talking about unique homes that have nothing in common (or very few things in common), even if they are being built by the same homebuilder.
In this case, the homeowner gets to choose the lot and be a part of the homebuildign process, as opposed to production homes. Usually, custom home builders are associated with high quality work, attention to details, as they come in “one of a kind” projects.
Buying Custom Homes
Custom homes are built by a home builder following the project and layout that the home builder has. Once you decide to purchase a custom home, you can personalize it to your liking, but you are bound to respect the limits of the project in use.
Living in Westfield? Discover these amazing home trends perfect for Westfield homeowners.
- You can choose almost everything in the home building process (from foundation materials to doorknobs)
- Flexibility: you can tear down a wall if you think the house would look better without it
- You are able to opt for a mix of styles and features that suit your lifestyle
- You can build your home on the land you want, in the neighbourhood you want
- Your house will not look like other tens of houses in your area
- You can ask for your home builder’s assistance after you move in, no matter what problem you encounter
Not to mention that you get to choose your own contractor . Here are some tips that will help you pick the right one.
- The home building process is longer
- Costs are higher (but worth it)
- Nothing else comes to mind
Both types of homes come with advantages and disadvantages, as everything in life.
Remember: when buying a home, always choose quality over quantity. (tweet)
At Gialluisi Custom Homes our goal is to offer you the best home building experience. We understand how important it is for you, as a future homeowner, to be a part of the process and we are ready to share our knowledge with you and answer all your questions.
We work with Westfield’s top notch suppliers and we use only the finest materials for every single home we build. Our team of professional builders and designers are among the best in their field.
Schedule a consultation
If you are looking to buy a home in Westfield or the surrounding areas, take a look at our
homes for sale.
Build your dream home with us
Enjoy the benefits of our Built To Suit program:
- Build your home on a lot you already have (or we can help you find the perfect one)
- Customize everything about your home
- Enjoy reduced downpayment (only 10% upfront)
- Get assistance in finding the best financing solution for your needs
All initial consultations are free at Gialluisi Custom Homes. Schedule yours and let’s talk about your home building ideas.