Thinking of ways to avoid leaky pipes and roofs? Start dealing with home maintenance on a regular basis.
Taking care of things around your house does not require much experience. Plus, home maintenance is a great method to prevent unwanted costs.
What home maintenance tasks you should do and when? Read on and find out:
Monthly home maintenance tasks:
- Inspect HVAC filters (and replace them with new ones if necessary). If there are no pets or allergies in your family, there is no need to change the filters every month. Once every couple of months should be enough to keep the air clean. Here is an example.
- Clean the sink disposal in the kitchen. Bearing in mind that the kitchen is the most used space in the house, you should take care if it more often than other areas. Try the classic method of cleaning the sink with vinegar ice cubes. Let the vinegar freeze in an ice tray and then run the ice cubes through the disposal.
- Clean the exhaust fan filters. Mix a degreaser with some hot water and let the filters soak in it for a few minutes. Rinse the filters off and put them back where they belong. Now you are ready to…
- …inspect the fire extinguishers. Assuming you have at least one fire extinguisher in your home, follow these simple steps:
- Make sure the fire extinguisher is not blocked (or hidden)
- Make sure the pin and seals are in place
- Make sure it shows no visual signs of damage
Tip: Download the home maintenance checklist for the entire year here.
Home maintenance tasks to do every quarter
- Test the smoke detector(s). This one is really simple. All you have to do is press the “test” button and start the alarm. If it does not make any sound, try changing the batteries. If it still doesn’t work, clean it (it may be dusty) and try again. Still not working? You may need to get a new smoke detector.
- Make sure the garage door auto-reverse feature works. Back in 1993, after many incidents that involved children, this became federal law. Now, every garage door needs to have a reverse feature. To test it, place a small piece of wood on the ground, where the door closes. It should reverse as soon as it touches the wood. Make sure to also keep your garage door eye in perfect condition.
- Flush toilets in unused spaces. This usually applies if you have a guest bathroom that you don’t use on a regular basis. It is a simple way to prevent any kind of build-ups, such as calcium. It takes about five seconds to do it.
Seasonal home maintenance is also important. We talk more about what you should do around your house during all four seasons in this article.
Home maintenance tasks to do every six months
- Test your water heater’s pressure relief valve. By doing this you will help your water heater run more efficiently. It is also a useful method to prevent corrosion buildups and leaks.
- General cleaning is a must. It takes about one day and it requires the help of the entire family. This means cleaning all the appliances, windows, floors, carpets – everything. No corner should escape the general cleaning!
- Replace the batteries in your smoke or carbon dioxide detectors.
- Clean the refrigerator coils. By doing so you can save up to $100 every year. When the coils get dirty, the fridge requires more power (it can use up to 15% of your home’s total power consumption!). It is time to be efficient – vacuum those coils!
Being a homeowner comes with its responsibilities, and home maintenance is one of them. But, at the end of the day, being able to take care of the thing you love is one of the greatest rewards.
Check out our home maintenance page and discover more useful tips & tricks to take care of your home like a professional!
If you bought a house from us, you benefit from free maintenance checkups – so contact us whenever you need our help!
Build your dream home with us
Enjoy the benefits of our Built To Suit program:
- Build your home on a lot you already have (or we can help you find the perfect one)
- Customize everything about your home
- Enjoy reduced downpayment (only 10% upfront)
- Get assistance in finding the best financing solution for your needs
Call 908-206-4659 for any additional information or get in touch with one of our team members here.