How are your hardwood floors doing?
Relax, we are not from the Hardwood Floors Police. We want to make sure you are doing all the right things to protect your investment – they did not come cheap, remember?
Hardwood floors are a great addition, thus they make your home look elegant, luxurious and comfortable. Most importantly, they can last for generations as long as you take care of them properly.
With this in mind, we invite you to discover a few simple yet effective maintenance tasks that will keep your hardwood floors healthy and shining.
Maintenance tasks for amazing hardwood floors
Dust your hardwood floors every day
Thinking that daily cleaning is too much for your busy schedule? Don’t worry, this method is quicker than you imagine. All you have to do is walk around your house… with a microfiber mop.
Cleaning the floors every day is the best defense against scratches and surface damage. This is the first step in ensuring that your hardwood floors will look amazing many years from now.
Why use microfiber pads? Because they trap dirt, allergens and other dust particles.
This floor really needs some mopping!
Tip: Try not to lift the microfiber mop from the floor during the cleaning process. This way you can ensure that all the dirt sticks to the pad.
Vacuum/mop your hardwood floors once a week
This weekly task is essential in order to clean hard to reach areas. Corners or small spaces between each piece of hardwood are difficult to clean with a simple dusting.
Vacuums or wet mops do an amazing job at getting the dirt out of these troubled spots.
However, you have to be extra careful when using these tools. Here’s why:
- The wheels on the vacuum cleaner can easily scratch the floors. Make sure you handle it with extra caution.
- Water and wood don’t work together. The best advice we can give you is to mix a small amount of water with a hardwood floor cleaner. Soak the mop and squeeze it to remove the extra liquid.
Remember to mark a special day for this activity in your calendar.
Polish your hardwood floors every six months
Floor polishes offer multiple benefits:
- They add an extra layer of protection to your hardwood floors
- They fill in small scratches
- They make your hardwood floors shine
We recommend you to polish your hardwood floors every four months. It is a simple way to renew the finish that protects them and refresh their overall look. The polishing process is simple, so all you need is a special polish solution and a mop.
Tip: Low-traffic areas of your home can go a bit longer without intensive cleaning. Focus on the spaces with high-traffic such as the kitchen, the hallway or the bedrooms.
With a minimum amount of time and effort, you can ensure that your hardwood floors look amazing every single day!
Sand and recoat your hardwood floors every three to five years
Your hardwood floors are probably handling a lot of traffic. Again, we are talking about high-traffic areas. It is only natural that they look worn down, even though you do your best to take care of them.
How to fix it?
Remove the old protective finish and replace it with a new one. Sanding and refinishing your hardwood floors every three to five years is essential.
You can do it yourself, or you can call the pros. The choice is yours, just make sure you mark this task as complete on a regular basis.
Did you know… ? We have a special section on the blog dedicated to home maintenance.
Extra tips for fabulous looking hardwood floors
- Place mats at the entryways – in order to diminish the amount of dirt that gets onto your floors. Remember to always wipe your feet!
- Avoid cleaning your floors with water and vinegar. Although this homemade solution is meant to do no harm, it can affect the floor’s finish in a negative way.
- Don’t use soap based cleaners – they leave residue on the floors.
The time you spend taking care of your floors is nothing compared to the time you spend enjoying their beauty.
If you are planning to install hardwood floors in your home, we are more than happy to assist you.
Build your dream home with us
Enjoy the benefits of our Built To Suit program:
- Build your home on a lot you already have (or we can help you find the perfect one)
- Customize everything about your home
- Enjoy reduced downpayment (only 10% upfront)
- Get assistance in finding the best financing solution for your needs
Call 908-206-4659 for any additional information or get in touch with one of our team members here.